Special Savings Certificates (SSCs) with a (maturity period of three years) was launched on February 4, 1990 that offers a unique investment opportunity for small and medium savers to meet their periodic financial needs.
SSCs are available in the denomination of:
- 500/-, Rs.1000/-, Rs. 5,000/-, Rs. 10,000/-, Rs. 50,000/-, Rs. 100,000/-, Rs. 500,000/-, Rs. 1,000,000/-
Profit is payable on the completion of each period of six months.
All Pakistani Nationals as well as Foreign Nationals can purchase SSCRs being a single adult, a minor or two adults jointly where the payments can be received either by the both jointly (Joint-A) or any one of the holders (Joint-B). An adult can also purchase SSCs on behalf of a single minor, two minors jointly or as a joint with a minor. Institutions may also invest their employees related funds such as pension, gratuity, superannuation, contributory provident fund and trusty fund etc.
SSCs can be purchased from any National Savings Centre (NSC), Pakistan Post Office (PPO) or authorized branch of a Scheduled Bank and the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) by filling in the SC-1 (Application form), available free of cost from all the above issuing offices.
Documents Required with the Application Form
- A copy of the Computerized National Identity Card (CNIC)
- A copy of National Identity Card for Overseas Pakistanis (NICOP) or Pakistan Origin Card (POC)
- A copy of Form B or Child Registration Certificate (CRC) as issued by NADRA
- An attested copy of NTN Certificate or Institutional Registration Certificate (IRC).
- A copy of the Passport
To download application form in editable Adobe Acrobat format, please click here.
SSC can be purchased by depositing cash at the Issuing Office or by presenting a cheque/ draft/ pay-order. The Certificate shall be issued immediately against the cash payment. However, in the case of deposit through cheque/ draft/ pay-order, the Certificate shall be issued with effect from the date of realization of the cheque/ draft/ pay-order after receiving the clearance advice.
- Minimum: Rs.500/-
- No maximum investment limits
SSCs is encashable at par any time after the date of purchase. However, no profit is payable if the encashment is made before completion of six months and no service charges shall be deducted for the encashment of these certificates. The Certificates issued/purchased/re-invested on or after November 15, 2010 shall not be re-invested on maturity.
The rate of tax to be deducted shall be as follows:
- Filers: In case the payable profit is Rs 500,000/- or above ,the rate shall be 15% on such profit.however in case profit is less than Rs 500,000/- the rate of WHT shall be 10% of the yield/profit.
- Non-Filers: In case the payable profit is Rs 500,000/- or above ,the rate shall be 30% on such profit.however in case profit is less than Rs 500,000/- the rate of WHT shall be 15% of the yield/profit.
Zakat shall be collected at source as per rules.