To meet the financial needs of long term category investors and provide them with the opportunity to take maximum benefit of their savings, the Government of Pakistan introduced Defence Savings Certificates (DSCs) scheme in the year 1966. The scheme has specifically been designed to meet the future requirements of the depositors with a maturity period of 10 years.
These Certificates are available in the denominations of:
- 500/-, Rs.1000/-, Rs. 5,000/-, Rs. 10,000/-, Rs. 50,000/, Rs. 100,000/-, Rs. 500,000/-, Rs. 1,000,000/-
All Pakistani Nationals as well as Overseas Pakistanis can purchase DSCs being an adult singly, a minor with guardian and two adults jointly, where the payments can be received either by both jointly or any one of the holders. An adult can also purchase DSC on behalf of a single minor, two minors jointly or as a joint with a minor.
DSCs can be purchased from any National Savings Centre (NSC), Authorized branches of Scheduled Banks and the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) by filling in the SC-I(Application Form) which available free of cost from all the above issuing offices.
Documents Required with the Application Form
- A copy of the Computerized National Identity Card (CNIC)
- A copy of National Identity Card for Overseas Pakistanis (NICOP) or Pakistan Origin Card (POC)
- A copy of Form B or Child Registration Certificate (CRC) as issued by NADRA
To download application form in editable Adobe Acrobat format, please click here (in red or green color)
DSCs can be purchased by depositing cash or cheque/ draft/ pay-order at the Issuing Office. The Certificate shall be issued immediately against cash payment. However, in case of deposit through cheque/ draft/ pay-order, the Certificate shall be issued on the date of realization of the cheque/ draft/ pay-order after receiving the clearance advice.
- Minimum: Rs.500/-
- No maximum investment limits
DSCs are encashable at par any time after the date of purchase. However, no profit is payable if encashment is made before completion of one complete year. DSCs issue/purchase/re-invested on or after November 15, 2010 shall not be re-invested on maturity.
The rate of tax to be deducted shall be as follows:
- Filers: Persons appearing in Active Tax Payer List (ATL), Rate of Withholding Tax shall be 15% of the yield/profit irrespective of date of investment and amount/profit.
- Non-Filers: Persons not appearing in Active Tax Payer List (ATL), Rate of Withholding Tax shall be 30% of the yield/profit irrespective of date of investment and amount/profit.
Zakat shall be deducted at source as per rules.